Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Dearest Mona

My sister Ramona, what a beautiful name,
she was thin and beautiful to match.

Married so young, desperate probably to get away from home,
to Dave, a neighbor, a good and honest man.

Six children came fast in those years, living in a basement house Dave built, including an underground garage, where Dave repaired everything, from cars to TV Sets.

Laundry hung on on outstretched lines strung all about the house, so many diapers,

BUT WOW, how good the northeastern corner of the basement smelled, with table loads of homemade bread, and her famous sticky buns which my brother Tom and I loved.

Later walls arose as Dave built above, Ramona went to work evenings. I don’t know why, no one does, at the Main Street Cafe leaving six children at home with Dave.

I almost cried, coming home from the Navy, seeing Mona peeling potatoes and chopping fries, the old fashioned way in the back kitchen of the cafe, serving schooners of beer at the counter, and cooking the greatest hamburger and fries in history most every evening, until at 40 years old,

she had a stroke and was left paralyzed for the rest of her life.

SO QUICK TO CRY, SO FAST TO LAUGH , SO SAD FOR ME TO SEE
BEAUTIFUL RAMONA CUT DOWN BY HEREDITY SO SOON.

I was in a Montana snow storm when I got the news: Mona gone, final heart failure took this big-hearted woman.

My son and his wife have a quilt she made in the nursing home with her one good arm.

I was glad to see the stone her children put on her grave labeled

ROMANA LUND
MOTHER OF
JOSEPH DEBRA ROBERT PAUL NANCY AND JOHN SCHMITT

in Stearns County Minnesota when I go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment