Wednesday, January 11, 2012

4 Point

I remember still,

The Catholic priest Father Vernon, assistant superintendent of St Boniface, telling me that he would give me a credit for religion class so I could graduate, and that it would be best if I went to work at the granite sheds as a hook man because I wasn’t very smart.

A navy test result ,
dimly suggested to me I might be all right later, but I didn’t it take very seriously.

I labored under this vail of self-doubt for the next ten years.

Then at 29, by chance, out of work, with family, no place to turn, I drove by a Portland Community College, and thought to myself: I am a Vet, maybe I can be trained for something, a welder or something.

A veterans counselor made himself available to me. He said, Joe, why don’t you take a introductory program, same as all college students.

I remember still,

taking my 1st grade point 15 credit report card 4.00 to Mr. Macy, the man I worked for part time, for he was the only one I knew that would care.

I was so proud I NEVER LOOKED BACK.

No comments:

Post a Comment